Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 12:33:36 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP/PIIX "calcru: negative time"

This patch should hopefully fix a lot of the "calcru: negative time"
warnings on SMP systems.

Intel forgot that reading an asynchronous counter needs a
latch to get reliable readings:  There is about 4% risk
of reading a bogus value from the PIIX counter.

I have also added some checks to try to avoid using bogus
timestamps should they occur again/still.

Please let me know if you see either of the "calcru: negative time"
or the new ""microuptime() went backwards ..." warnings after this
change.  Please include your boot dmesg and output from sysctl -a
in your email.

Poul-Henning