Date:      Thu, 1 Dec 2011 13:05:22 -0500
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Invalid memory stats from vmstat and sysctl vm.vmtotal?

On Thu, Dec 01, 2011 at 10:44:58AM -0000, Steven Hartland wrote:
> [...]

I agree

> With respect to top showing greater than 100% by how much are you talking?
> Do your realise that each core = 100%? So if you have a quad core your system
> total will be 400% not 100%?

Yeah I realize that but it still would lead you to believe that if a proccessor has 4 cores on the same die then total for each core could only be 25% usage. And the usage for a proccess only consuming full usage of 1 core is 100%. But you can start firefox on a single uniproccessor and like stated above see large usage percents near 338% or greater which is impossible and leads me to believe were forcing calculation for the entire proccess of threads onto tthread 0. This makes accounting pretty difficult.