Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 19:08:56 +0200
From:      Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@pluto.sr.se>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [gunnar@pluto.sr.se: Trying to compile bktr support]

In fact, since I wrote that question I've found that Roger Hardiman has
taken over the development, and at his ftp-site there was a README that
showed me what exactly to put in the options file. After that the code
compiled cleanly. I even got the latest code from that site.

On Tue, Oct 13, 1998 at 03:36:16PM +0200, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> > I made a compilation of the support for video chip bt848. After a while
> > the compiler complains about a missing .h file It's looking for:
> >
> > ../../pci/brooktree848.c:272: opt_bktr.h: No such file or directory
> > mkdep: compile failed
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > The file missing opt_bktr.h is nowhere in the source tree as far as I
> > can find. I even tried to compile with the file commented out. This
> > works fine (as far as compiling is concerned, but there is no
> > recognition of the TV card)
>
> Which version of source?
>
> This means that you're compiling brooktree848.c on something that
> hasn't got the brooktree options added to the conf/options - if this
> is a mismatch in the FreeBSD CVS repository, we have to fix it.  If
> not, you just have to add some option to conf/options, pointing at
> opt_bktr.h - check out the cvs logs for src/sys/conf/options using CVSweb:
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/cg/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/conf/options
>
> The non-recognition of the TV card is a different issue - a dmesg from
> a boot -v would be useful for attempting to track this down.

Now after I've got the thing to compile, I can start fxtv and get
pictures out of it, but nothing is seen in a 'normal' dmesg (without
the -v at boot). I thought I would see the TV-card detected? But it
works, or rather one of my Miro cards work. It has a chip number starting
with 7, the other one has a chip number starting with 5. I guess the
first is a newer card. We were a bit confused by this, but have figured
out that both cards are working (only tested on NT though) if the video
card is Matrox of any kind, but not if the video card is ATI. On ATI's
only the newer card is working. Strange enough they have exactly the
same versions of (NT-)drivers delivered with them.

--
                           __o
regards, Gunnar       ---_ \<,_