Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:10:36 -0700
From:      "Brad Morgan" <B-Morgan@concentric.net>
To:        "James Stapley (Discus)" <fishwatch@ru.ac.za>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Old "Panasonic" CD-ROM not detected on install FreeBSD 4.4 - Help  please! =)

I had a similar situation.  If your Soundblaster is a PNP version like
mine, I had a heck of a time getting the card initialized.  Using a DOS
boot first to set the card addresses and then changing the port address
of the secondary IDE when FreeBSD boots I was able to see the CD with
FreeBSD.

Since my CD was an IDE version, I finally "solved" the problem by going
to my local PC "junkyard" and buying an ISA IDE board ($10) to hang the
CDROM on.

Brad