Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 2000 01:09:52 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>, Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>, clefevre@citeweb.net, Akbar <Akbar@Aptitude.com.sg>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wats so special about freeBSD?

>  (a) "They have done the big code audit." (You got that one.)
>  (b) They ship a secure default.
>
> Not FreeBSD, nor any other open source OS I am aware of, has done
> (a). FreeBSD sacrifices (b) for having some stuff work "out of the
> box."

I'd appreciate more specifics.  I think (a) is largely a perceptual
advantage since software never stands still and I have to wonder just
how much of a "rolling audit" any project of a largely voluntary
nature can consistently manage.  As for (b), I think FreeBSD has
already made some very sensible decisions there and would very much
appreciate knowing just where you think it's failed to do so, using
-current as a baseline if possible since there's not much point in
arguing about default security policies which have already been
changed.

- Jordan