Date:      Tue, 6 Oct 1998 21:19:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spike Gronim <spork@erols.com>
To:        nk99 <nkx@iname.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /dev/bpf0

On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, nk99 wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     Trying to run tcpdump, I got the error /dev/bpf0 not configured. I've been told I've got to add "pseudo-device bpfilter 4" somewhere and recompile the kernel.
>
> Two questions:
> 1. Where do I add the device line?

Anywhere, really, but grouping it with the other pseudo-device lines at
the bottom of the config file is always nice.

> 2. How do I recompile my kernel?

As root:
cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
(edit kernel config file)
config <config file>
cd ../../compile/<config file>
make
make install
reboot

> Thanks

Welcome.

> nkx@iname.com

	-Spike Gronim
	 sporkl@erols.com

		The majority only rules those who let them.