Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 18:17:33 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USE_AUTOMAKE directive

On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 05:32:10PM -0400, Will Andrews wrote:
> Hmm, well, if you think they should be in there, then what about
> USE_[GNOME,KDE]LIBS?

That will be handled by Jeremy's optional dependency work..

> I just don't see the need for bloating bsd.port.mk with rarely-needed
> variables.

A while back, we had a small discussion about perhaps splitting this
up into separate files, with bsd.port.mk becoming simply a "meta-port"
of its own.

One advantage here would be that it would be possible (though it would
require thought) to have USE_* WITH_* variables, and anything else
that may change as a result of a port changing (eg: a KDE shared
library version number bump), separated out.

"Trusted" committers (ie: those with "responsibility" for such ports),
could then make changes to this file, without going anywhere near
the file that (say), contains most of the real makefile logic.

In addition, each file component of bsd.port.mk, being that much
smaller, becomes a little more easy to understand (and perhaps
optimize).

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.