Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 17:45:51 -0700
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>
To:        grog@lemis.com, jacques@wired.ctech.ac.za
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ifpw and users

> On Wed, Oct 08, 1997 at 01:30:31PM +0200, Jacques Hugo wrote:
> > Hi there...
> >
> > Is the ipfw utils on fbsd smart enough that
> > it can allow inet access for some users and
> > deny it for others?
>
> No.
>
> > Can this be done with the TIS fw toolkit?
>
> No.  The Internet Protocols don't support the concept of users.

This blanket "no" may not be answering the implied question. TIS
FWTK is able to provide excellent user authentication. It can do
that in conjunction with IP address restrictions by service. In
that sense it can allow access from an untrusted network (The
Internet) to a trusted internal network for some users and deny it
for others. ipfw doesn't do that. ipfw is a packet filter; TIS FWTK
is an application proxy firewall. Together they can form a very
powerful firewall, remembering that defining the policy for protection
may be the hardest part of firewall construction.

> There are possible ways around this restriction, but you'll have to
> relate any restrictions to concepts like IP address and port number.
>
> Greg

I think Greg was saying the same thing, but the answer might have
been misunderstood.
--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good