Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2000 17:16:29 -0400
From:      "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        FBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Soundblaster_16 and FreeBSD-4.1 ?

Bill Schoolcraft wrote:

> I may be jumping the gun with this but just went to investigate the
> procedure for setting up the Soundblaster_16 sound card and I'm
> reading that I have to recompile the kernel ? I've always purchased
> this card for it's a troublefree card to setup with the
> "sndcofig" utility in Linux.
>
> Is this the only way to get sound working with the latest
> FreeBSD-4.1 ?
>
> My many thanks in advance while I keep digging.

Soundblaster 16s play music and sound effects just fine in every
version of FreeBSD I've ever used.  In FreeBSD 4.x you need to crank
the volume up a lot higher than you used to (I usually put vol, pcm,
and ogain at 100 and leave my speakers in the middle position).

Full duplex mode doesn't work in 4.0, but it supposedly works in
4-CURRENT. Full duplex mode works fine in 3.x.  Note that the SB16
has a design deficency that really makes it more like 3/4 duplex.

To use the soundcard, you have to recompile a kernel (4.x) with:
device pcm
device sbc
If you have an old ISA non-pnp version, you will also have to include
the IO port, IRQs, and DMAs (see LINT).

For more information on compiling a kernel, read the handbook at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook