Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 11:58:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Christian Weitenberner <caweiten@mtu.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Linux

I have a question about slackware linux.  If you can't answer questions about
slackware could you direct me to a slackware support address please.

Here's the question ...
  I'm having a problem with ifconfig recognizing the 3com Ethernet adaptor
in my computer.  During boot it tries to load the comand "ifconfig eth0"
plus some addresses and such, however the problem is with loading eth0,
when this line gets executed the machine spits out the message
"unknown interface".  Ifconfig works with "ifconfig lo" which is only a
loopback comand.  I assume that there is a problem either with the eth0
parameter or the card itself, I plopped in a similar card from a BSD system
I am running and I recieved the same error.  PLEASE HELP.

-Chris Weitenberner