Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:59:20 -0800
From:      Rob <europa100@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   lpr errors- using /dev/ulpt0

Hi,

I am using a USB to centronix cable to my Lexmark Optra and lpr prints sometimes, and then sometimes it
won't.  /dev/ulpt0 support is compiled into my kernel.

"lpc status lp" command reports that it is up, a job is spooled, and the printer is idle but nothing comes
out.

I am finding the following types of messages in /var/log/lpd.errs:

lp: unable to open dfA000xenon ('f' line)
lp: job could not be printed (cfA000xenon)

xenon is the name of my computer.  I am wondering if this is another problem with my hosts file?

it has only these lines in it:

::1	localhost	xenon
127.0.0.1	localhost	xenon

"sockstat" shows for lpd:

root	lpd	489	3	dgram	-> /var/run/logpriv
root	lpd	489	5	stream	-> /var/run/printer
root	lpd	489	6	tcp6	*.515
root	lpd	489	7	tcp3	*.515

I am not certain what exactly is going on and if there is anywhere else I should be looking for clues.

Thanks!

Rob Lytle

--

http://www.roblytle.org/me.htm