Date:      Thu, 02 May 2002 08:00:24 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   MBUF allocation failures

Last nights daily report on one of my machines included:
> m_clalloc failed, consider increase NMBCLUSTERS value
> m_retry failed, consider increase mbuf value

But:
aalp03# netstat -m
71/1264/16384 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
        71 mbufs allocated to data
69/1242/4096 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
2800 Kbytes allocated to network (22% of mb_map in use)
34 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines
aalp03# uname -a

Why am I getting m_clalloc() failures when the reported peak usage is
well below the maximum reported by netstat?  This is an old -STABLE
(just before 4.5-RC1).

Peter