Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 02:46:48 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        ABEAICD@aol.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer Configuration

ABEAICD@aol.com types:
> --part1_6b.11671e05.27e7cde3_boundary

Please just send one copy of your question, as ascii text. Don't send
HTML, and expecially don't send two copies - one HTML and one
text.

> Gentlemen:
> I have installed FreeBSD Power Pak Ver.4.2 in my PC, and now
> I am in the process of configuring my Printer. According to FreeBSD
> Handbook I tried to find itf the kernel supports parallel interface, for
> this I used the command: # dmesg | grep lpt0 the answer I get is:
> lpt0: <PRINTER> on ppbus0 in the first line. lpt0: Interrupt-driven
> port in the second line.
> From the FreeBSD Book, I tried Testing the Printer: I used the
> command line  # lptest > /dev/lpt0, I get no reaction to the status
> display.

That's not a status display, that just sends text to the printer. If
nothing shows up on the printer, then you probably have a printer that
can't print ascii text, and need to install the appropriate
drivers. I recommend using ghostscript as the rendering engine (it
will need to know how to talk to your printer), and magicfilter as the
printer filter (it invokes other tools depending on the file type,
then ghostscript to render to the printer).

> I also tried  Configuring # /etc/printcap, the response i get is:
> /etc/printcap: Permission denied.
> I wish you could help me with this problem. I look forward to your
> answers.

You have to configure printcap as root, but it won't do any good until
you've got the appropriate rendering engine and filter installed.

	<mike