Date:      Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:24:11 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_N=F8rgaard?= <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   wireless config in dhclient.conf (CURRENT)

Hi,

I have a problem configuring dhclient for my wireless interface, ath, on
-CURRENT. I updated my system recently and are now using the port of
dhclient from OpenBSD.

I have a Comtrend DSL/AP on channel 11 with ssid ISPY, my wired server
(FBSD 5.4) is running isc-dhcpd v. 3. My neighbour has a 3Com DSL/AP on
channel 6 with default configuration, running a dhcp server. On my
laptop I have a 3Com PCMCIA card, ath0.

According to the documentation I can find on the web, I should include
an entry in /etc/dhclient.conf like:

interface "ath0" {
     media "ssid ISPY mode 11g";
}

but doing so dhclient fails to get a lease on boot. Instead it enters
into an "infinite" loop (long, I eventually pressed CRTL-C), changing
link state to up, sending one dhcp request, and changing linkstate to
down. This does not change if I include a "channel 11" in the media line.

Since configuration failed the interface is not configured and dhclient
is not running. If I log in and run dhclient it fails as above - no
surprise.

If I manually set ssid and mode, then I can run dhclient at it
associates and gets a lease as it should.

If I leave no configuration, it sometimes picks up my neighbours AP and
get a lease from that - his signal is at times stronger than my own
(probably Comtrend crap against 3Com).

How do I correctly configure dhclient for my wireless nic so it
associates with my network?

Thanks, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                           web: http://www.locolomo.org