Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:38:52 +0545
From:      Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@wlink.com.np>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        bsdprakash@gmail.com, slogster@gmail.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wheel Group users get root access without password prompt in 6.2

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:32:05 -0400
Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:

> > Prakash Poudyal wrote:
> > > Hello Tek
> > > I think you donot have a root password it may be blank. And you know the
> > > group of the root is wheel. your user group and root group is same so be
> > > careful with that too.
> >
> > Hi Prakash,
> >
> > This is the 2nd time that I am facing this root password problem in
> > FreeBSD-6.2.
> >
> > I did set the root password during sysinstall. In addition, I had even
> > created a user account in the wheel group. However, for some strange
> > reasons, the user got deleted and the root's password got reseted to
> > blank when the freebsd box got rebooted.
> >
> > After reboot, I again have to manually set the root password and create
> > a user account once again. All is fine and well after that.
> >
> > I have really found FreeBSD-6.2 stable and steady for production use
> > however.
>
> You've got something bizarre going on with your setup.  I've never seen
> the behaviour you describe.
>
> Are you sure that when you set the password, it actually works?  It's
> difficult for me to even imagine what kind of problem would cause what
> you describe without the system also being completely unstable as well.
>
> Can you give us script captures of the process (sanitized as necessary,
> don't email out any passwords) so we can see what you're doing any all
> the messages the system provides?

Hi Bill and All,

I thank you and all for your concern and support. I think when I was given the post configuration setup during the last phase of the sysinstall, I made the mistake of not saving the result.

I will setup on FreeBSD-6.2 tomorrow again. I will monitor the process and keep alert during the post installation setup especially on the section when adding users on the system.

Thanking you...

> --
> Bill Moran
> http://www.potentialtech.com