Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 15:48:47 +0000
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        Udo Wolter <uwp@ukrv.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Caching-only DNS?

Udo Wolter wrote:

> Hi Paul !
>
> > What's your resolv.conf look like? Make sure there aren't any
> > trailing spaces on any lines. You'll want it to look something
> > like:
> >
> > domain istudio.no
> > nameserver 194.198.118.130
> >
> > And by the way, I just did an 'ls istudio.no.' on that server
> > and then set myself up as a secondary. Both worked fine.
> >
> > It looks like is was there problem, and they've fixed it.
>
> Can you tell me how did you set up a secondary DNS directory? Is it better to
> do a secondary or is it better to set up a cache only server ?

I'd say a secondary is better. That way you have the files on you
system and can quickly turn it into a primary if your primary
goes down.

Ok. All you need to do is create the named.boot file, in /etc/namedb.
But first check /etc/sysconfig to make sure you have this line:
namedflags="-b /etc/namedb/named.boot"

Now that named.boot file:
# what directory should we use for named
directory       /etc/namedb

# Set up secondary domains
secondary	0.0.127.in-addr.arpa	ip.of.primary s.127.0
secondary	my.domain		ip.of.primary s.my.domain
secondary	reverse-ip.in-addr.arpa	ip.of.primary s.ip-addresses
cache		.			named.root

Then start named with
named -b /etc/namedb/named.boot

or reboot.

A couple of notes. I use s.<domain> for secondary files, and p.<domain>
for primary files. It helps me at a glance see what I'm serving. Others
just use filenames like db.<domain>. That really doesn't matter.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, check the log when you start, restart
or reload the nameserver. Just a:
tail /var/log/messages
and you'll know whether or not what you did worked.

Get the O'Reilly book. Paul and Cricket do a great job with it.

named.root is provided in /etc/namedb by freebsd. Without it, your
name server will have no clue how to how to get to the root name
servers without it.

Here's a specific example. Let's say you want to be secondary for
the domain ukrv.de and it's ip addresses are 201.200.40.0. And the
the primary name server is at 201.200.30.1. Your ip address is
201.200.40.1

Here's what the named.boot should look like:

directory       /etc/namedb
secondary	0.0.127.in-addr.arpa	201.200.30.1 s.127.0
secondary	ukrv.de			201.200.30.1 s.my.domain
secondary	40.200.201.in-addr.arpa	201.200.30.1 s.201.200.40
cache		.			named.root

And here's your /etc/resolv.conf
domain ukrv.de.
nameserver 201.200.40.1