Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 20:56:15 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>
To:        Charles Henrich <henrich@flnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sed sillyness (stupid question?)

But you didn't do what the man page you quoted said:

>      A line can be split by substituting a newline character into it.
>      To specify a newline character in the replacement string, precede
>      it with a backslash.

What you need is:

sed 's,test,te\
st,'

In other words, you need a real backslash character followed by
a real newline character -- not some code for it like "\n".

And, for the people who posted the wrong answers that I've seen
so far, please take the few seconds to check them first ...

--
Greg Black <gjb@acm.org>