Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:02:26 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org, developers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP!  MFC's

* Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl> [001027 09:53] wrote:
> -On [20001027 18:50], Alfred Perlstein (bright@wintelcom.net) wrote:
> >* Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl> [001027 09:41] wrote:
> >> Short: if you value stability, please be careful updating any mission
> >> critical system for the coming few days.
> >
> >If you consider anything as a possible regression for stable users
> >then I urge you to not even consider MFC'ing.
> >
> >-stable is not meant to be a snapshot of -current, it's supposed
> >to be _stable_ as the name implies.
>
> You totally miss the point I was trying to communicate across.
>
> While I strive to make sure everything I MFC is tested it can always
> happen that something for some reason blows up.
>
> Some things are just beyond your control.

That's understandable, and if things are proceeding as normal then
there's no reason for potentially creating panic for the users.

However, if there's an 'MFC rush' then I think that's not the right
way to go about doing it.

> I am just giving people a warning to be careful the next few days in
> updating their system as I am sure the MFC rushing of some things might
> occur again.

Again, if you are _sure_ that there will be problems then please
don't, if you aren't _sure_ then there's no reason to make people
fear the next release.