Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 19:50:13 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@grumpy.dyndns.org>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        Ben <ben@cahostnet.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Linux (More Questions!)

Christopher Farley writes:
> Ben (ben@cahostnet.com) wrote:
[...]
> > Large hardware support
>
> Because of its larger user base, Linux has better hardware support,
> however FreeBSD's hardware support may be sufficient for your needs.

larger != better

How many Adaptec SCSI drivers are their for Linux? DEC Tulip? Last I
heard there were several of each. One driver works for some, another
for others. You have to shoot for a combination which works for you.

Adpatec support is simply excellent in FreeBSD. Same for the Intel
Etherexpress Pro 10/100B. Neither is a shining point for Linux.

If you need a driver for a parallel port gumball machine and soda
dispenser, then Linux is the place. Otherwise FreeBSD supports all
quality PC hardware.

> You specifically mentioned cd burners and sound cards. My experience
> is this: on FreeBSD you will be better off with SCSI cd drives,
> particularly if you want to do disk-at-once copying.

Believe Soren has put everything in the FreeBSD kernel for such in the
ATA driver. Only waiting on somebody to customize the popular utilties
(such as cdrdao) to the interface. Meanwhile rather than cdrecord, one
uses burncd. For audio you can create a device for every track 01 thru
99, and read with dd.

> However, Linux's lack of a 'make world'-type mechanism to upgrade the
> operating system has always troubled me. I really like the idea
> that on FreeBSD, you can sync your source tree and bring your OS up-to
> date, even between major releases.

Using CVS from a *single* source, no less. No "patch of the day" or need
for incompatible patches from multiple sources. Somebody I know tried to
do the "greater than 2G file" thing in Linux. Found 4 different patch
sets to do the job. No single one was complete. No combination worked
well. I won the argument and we wiped the machine and put FreeBSD on it.
Later I submitted a couple PR's to FreeBSD as dd and tcopy were only
counting with 32 fingers. They worked fine, but the display was off over
4G. The Linux patches had not gotten into that fine of a detail.

> Linux upgrades usually require waiting for the latest release.
> Between releases, you may need to upgrade specific binary files if there
> is a security problem.

Using the FreeBSD system there has been a time or two that I've needed
to move something back a version. Recently /usr/ports/mail/fetchmail
did something screwy with a POP3 AUTH command. Didn't find out until I
had "upgraded" and deleted my older version. So I used cvs to "update"
/usr/ports/mail/fetchmail to one that was a couple weeks old. And I had
my good fetchmail once again.

Many years ago when auto media detection was being added to the de (DEC
Tulip) driver, it broke my version 0.0 21040 manually-jumpered "combo"
card. Cvs was very helpful for keeping an older version of the driver
for quite some time.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net