Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:01:41 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Andrew Mace <JtRipper@gmx.net>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Debugger("panic") on reboot

On (2003/03/19 20:43), Andrew Mace wrote:

> Thanks for Your reply. Your right, I'm in the wrong league here :-). I had
> 5.0 RELEASE installed before, but the jdk1.4 port wouldn't compile and there
> is no binary package. But now that I have it compiled and packaged can I just
> install it on 5.0 RELEASE or even 4.7 STABLE?

No.

The native jdk1.4.1 depends on a threads support change in libc that was
committed after 5.0-RELEASE.

You _really_ don't want to upgrade libc to 5.0-CURRENT without upgrading
the rest of the system.  You could, however, just apply the patch
concerned [1] and rebuild world from the 5.0-RELEASE sources.

Personally, I'd just update to -CURRENT and enjoy a host of bugfixes, at
the risk of catching it at a bad time.  You can minimize that risk by
using the same FreeBSD source that you used to produce the host
environment that successfully built the java/jdk14 port's package,
because you've seen it in action.

Ciao,
Sheldon.

[1] You'd have to hunt the freebsd-java mailing list archives for "the
    libc_r patch", which shouldn't be too hard to find.