Date:      Sun, 09 Sep 2001 00:52:21 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Bsdguru@aol.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI probe reordering?

In message <146.146a821.28cc24bc@aol.com> Bsdguru@aol.com writes:
: I've encountered a MB that seems to probe devices in a less than desirable
: order. There is an onboard fxp controller, but it scans the slots first, so
: that the onboard controller is fxp1 if there is another intel card in the
: box, for example.
:
: I want to make the onboard controller fxp0 (since most MBs probe that way and
: it makes sense). Where would I have to hack to get Freebsd to probe slots in
: reverse order?

I truly believe that it would be easier to hack the pci bus code to
support wired hints than it would be to hack the probe order and still
have things work afterwards.

The outline of the hack:
	hints.fxp.0.at="pci1:10:0"
would be how you'd tell the system about it.  Then, in the device
probe/attachment routine, check to see if the "at" hint, if it exists,
matches the bus:device:function you are about to probe.  If so, go
ahead with the probe/attach.  Otherwise bump the child number and go
to the "Then" part of this paragraph.

This may be a little difficult, because I think that the probing the
children is actually pushed down into the bus code...

Warner