Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:37:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>, "alpha@freebsd.org" <alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP, floppy installs desupported for 5.0 (fwd)

John Baldwin writes:

 > On 05-Nov-2002 Matthias Buelow wrote:
 > > John Baldwin wrote:
 > >
 > >> This is what we do already.  Even i386 now uses 3 floppies to install.  The problem is
 > >> that a really, really stripped down 5.0 kernel still doesn't fit onto kern.flp with the
 > >> loader.
 > >
 > > Why can't it span several floppies, then?
 > > I don't know the innards of the boot-loader being used but
 > > where's the problem simply printing a "insert next floppy" when
 > > with the next floppy?  A similar things is being done with mfsroot
 > > anyways, isn't it?  Why should the capacity of a floppy disk
 > > restrict the size of kernels being booted?
 >
 > We do not currently do this with the mfsroot, it all fits onto
 > mfsroot.flp.  As I said earlier, someone did write and commit
 > code for a "splitfs" fs to the loader so that it can do exactly
 > this, but no one has played with getting the scripts to use that
 > feature.

I think you may be misunderstanding.  I think what is being suggested
is 4 separate fs's.

floppy 1 contains: /boot/loader /boot/loader.rc
floppy 2 contains: /kernel.gz
floppy 3 contains: /modules/foo..
floppy 4 contains: /modules/morefoo

The loader.rc would look like this:

echo \\007\\007
echo Please insert Kernel floppy and press enter:
echo \\007\\007
echo Please insert MFS root floppy and press enter:
load -t mfs_root /mfsroot

This means serious diddling with the twisty mess of ${TARGETS} in
/usr/src/release/Makefile, if anybody interested in floppys is up for
it.

I'm not really interested in floppy installs, so I'll bow out here and
leave it to the intersted parties.

Drew