Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 2004 04:45:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        "Christian S.J. Peron" <csjp@freebsd.org>
Cc:        swp@swp.pp.ru
Subject:   Re: IP options broken for raw sockets on cred downgrade (was: Re: why	required root privileges to set multicast options now?)

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Christian S.J. Peron wrote:

> First off, allow me to apologize for the delay, I have been away for
> Thanks giving weekend. This patch looks like it fixes most of the
> problems. I should have thought of this when I committed the credential
> checks, sorry about that!
>
> I am testing this patch right now, and I will report any success
> failures I experience.

No problem on the delay, and thanks for testing.  It appears to resolve
the problem for me locally (for example, mtrace now works as non-root.  My
primary concern with the fix is making sure it doesn't introduce security
holes -- i.e., I didn't miss any cases to put a suser() in front of, etc,
or implications of passing it down to in_control() without further checks.
As we discussed when starting the work to refine the raw socket
protections, the implications of these changes can be very subtle but
pretty significant, so requires a lot of thinking and testing :-).

Thanks!

robert@fledge.watson.org      Principal Research Scientist, McAfee Research