Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 1996 14:04:52 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail: mail loops back to myself

In message <Pine.BSF.3.91.960110100351.1144A-100000@gdi.uoregon.edu>you write:
>I keep getting messages back from MAILER_DAEMON about messages that loop
>back to myself.
>
>How do I fix these?
>
>Someone else posted and I didn't get a response.
>
>My machine's name is `riley-net170-164' wiht a CNAME to `gdi'.

You have your machine configured to think that its name is gdi.uoregon.edu;
however, gdi.uoregon.edu is a CNAME that points to
riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu .  Now, it's illegal to send email to a CNAME, so
when anyone sends mail to user@gdi.uoregon.edu the mailer will automatically
change it to user@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu .  Since your machine thinks
its name is gdi.uoregon.edu, it doesn't know how to deliver that mail.

Since it's illegal to put "gdi.uoregon.edu" in any mail headers, your best
course of action is to tell sendmail that your host's name is
"riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu", by putting "Djriley-net170-164.uoregon.edu" in
your /etc/sendmail.cf .

If you really want to be able to use "gdi.uoregon.edu" in your mail headers,
then you'll have to get your DNS administrators to use either an A record or
an MX record, and then make sure that "riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu" is in
your "Cw" line in /etc/sendmail.cf .

  Bill