Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 08:59:44 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Brian Bartholomew <bb@wv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does freebsd tolerate kernel upgrades well?

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Brian Bartholomew wrote:

> [ I am not on this mailing list.  Please respond to me and I'll summarize. ]
>
> I have a machine running 2.1.5-RELEASE.  I want to run the latest
> stable kernel to get the linux emulator to run the Legato Networker
> backup program, and use the Intel 100 Mbit ethernet card driver (fxp).
>
> Does freebsd tolerate a kernel upgrade well like linux does, or must I
> reinstall the whole box from a consistant release?

Since you're crossing branches (2.1->2.2), that makes this more difficult.

If you just upgrade your kernel, ps/top/pstat/related kernel-specific
utilities will all cease functioning.  You could grab the source for these
and rebuild them.

Plus, you'll need to get the linux LKM source for 2.2 and rebuild the LKM.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo