Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 17:35:30 +1000
From:      otter@tig.com.au
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Very basic questions...

At 01:04 10-05-99 -0500, G. Adam Stanislav wrote:
>You mean book publishers and software publishers, don't you. Book stores
>and computer retailers are just resellers with very little markup
>(especially computer retailers).

I've been looking at sites which archive various compilations for dl...
they start at $30 odd US unless you want to fly by the seat of your pants.
I will quite happily converse with other users via email and usenet to get
info.... but the number of posts to Linux newsgroups about hassles with
dialup connections makes me want to have a printed standby....

Fortunately there seems to be lots of dl-able manuals etc. available for
FreeBSD, one of the reasons I'm interested and researching.  At this rate
I'll end up with a different OS on each of my four HDD's. (( :

Books are a good alternative... but down here in the colonies we are paying
about double what you folks in the US pay.  An Amazon price of $45 might
look good, but by the time you consider the 60c exchange rate and
international shipping....  banks charge upwards of $10 for foreign
currency cheques.... (and their security sucks, so you take your financial
life in your hands just having a credit card, let alone using it over the
net)......

Back to the ftp sites I go.

>> are taking advantage
>>of it, by selling a little book with the cd and avoiding violation of its
>>GNU policy by saying "The customer is not paying for Linux, they are
>>paying for the book".
>
>Actually, GNU licence explicitly says that software covered by it may be
>sold as long as it includes the source code.
<snip>
Of course, that is true of the BSD
>licence as well. But the BSD licence does not take the rights of the
>programmer away.

How does Copyleft take the rights of the programmer away?  If you want to
alter, recompile and distribute, name the compile after yourself, charge
what you like... just make the source available, to keep us from another
gates of hell type scenario.

GNU 'free' means free speech, not free price.

With regards Internet access in Australia, our formerly national carrier
holds a death grip on any and all ISDN coming into the country and the
majority of physical phone line connections... so while we talk about
"competition" what we actually have is a monopoly, and an even more vested
interest when you consider that said carrier runs its own ISP.  To get
phone line problems fixed, you might find yourself lying through your
teeth, coz as soon as you mention a modem, they tell you the problem is not
the phone line, but your ISP...

They also charge private ISP's an arm and a leg for ISDN rental and data
dl.  And you thought we were a free country?!  Now the govt is even looking
at censoring "offensive" content.... but the story on that is on
aus.politics and aus.censorship....

Back on topic....  I'd be interested to know if any ex Lose 9x users have
comments on websites etc which I could have a squizz at?  Apart from those
already linked at FreeBSD.org and GNU.

Cheers, Ana