Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 16:02:44 +1000 (EST)
From:      Robert Chalmers <robert@nanguo.chalmers.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (bsd)
Subject:   Worked out how to "restore" a root dump

I finally worked out how to restore a dumped root file system if any one
is interested. I had to do it to put in a bigger HDD for the root
drive. I have 2 HDDs, one running / and /var and /swap. The other
HDD running /usr

I needed to replace the / hdd, as the swap was to small, and the
drive need replacing anyway.

dump the / filesystem
do a straight forward install of a new system onto the / wd0 drive.
Ignore the wd1 or second HDD. Dont touch it.

When making the filesystems on the / system, that is, /, swap, /var
make sure the /dev/wd0xxx are the same as the original. You can add
others if you want. I added /u, AFTER the others were created.

so essentially the new HDD is set out the same as the old one, with
the addition of extra filesystems perhaps.

put your tape in the drive

do "df > /var/ff.txt" to save the device informaion and names.

cd /
restore rf /dev/rst0	Ignore the warning messages.

vi /etc/fstab and hand add the "extra" new filesystems names to the fstab file.
		from the information you saved in /var/ff.txt

cd /usr		( remember, your original /usr filesystem isn't mounted yet)
		  or it shouldn't be anyway. you'll lose it if it is!)

rm -r *  	will remove everything in this tree

reboot		and when the system comes back up, it will mount the
		proper /usr filesystem, and the new ones,
		completly running your original root filesystem.

Works fine.....

ps. How come "restore" takes about 10 minutes to complete, and dump takes
about an hour or more !!!

cheers,
BC
--
Triple-W: P.O. Box 2003. Mackay. 4740       		   +61-0412-079025
robert@chalmers.com.au for Whirled Peas		http://www.chalmers.com.au