Date:      Thu, 2 Oct 1997 22:58:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Robert Palank <srfpala@inlink.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PS2 Mouse

On Sun, 28 Sep 1997, Robert Palank wrote:

> Given:
>  Running a Compaq ProLinea 3/25zs with a
>  Sony CDROM (Model # CDU50E)  successfully used  during FreeBSD
> installation process.
>  FreeBSD ver 2.1 installed and running with the Generic kernel loaded at
> install time.
> X running with keyboard support but with no mouse support.
> The  wrong mouse designated during install time!
> The kernel has never been rebuilt.
>

> Problem:  startx aborts with the message  -
>                 Fatal Server Error: Cannot open mouse:(device not
> configured)

OK.

> Solution  ????   I guess I need to configure my mouse which is a PS/2 mouse
> and a text indicates that /dev/psaux  is an appropriate designation.  But I
> have questions.
> Q1.  Do I need to rebuild my kernel - just to use a PS/2 mouse?

No, in newer systems it's compiled in but just disabled.  If you type `-c'
at the boot: prompt and look in the Disabled Devices section, it should be
there.

Also check /etc/XF86Config and make sure it's set to point at /dev/psm0
and that it's using protocol "PS/2".

> Q4.  Do I correctly understand that FreeBSD 2.1 cannot directly access the
> Sony CDROM drive?

This depends on the CD.  If it's interfaced by the IDE interface, then
FreeBSD 2.1.5 and later can read it fine; if it's on Sony's proprietary
interface, then you should be able to mutilate scd0 appropriately on
FreeBSD versions all the way back.