Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 12:34:46 +0300
From:      <midiostri@in.gr>
To:        <andrei.popov@citicorp.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   re: X application without starting a desktop

Thanks andrei! :)

i've installed fvwm2 (it wasn't istalled) and changed both my ~/.xinitrc =
and ~/.xsession to this:

 #! /bin/sh  (<-- btw. what's the meaning/use of this comment?)
 # .xinitrc

 # start fvwm2
 exec fvwm2 &

 # ...and start some nice progs
 exec xterm &
 exec xeyes &

 # EOF

When I startx, the Xserver starts loading and then shuts down.

When I tried to run fvwm2 directly from the prompt:
# fvwm2 &

I got a "Can't open display" <<ERROR>>

Am I doing something wrong?
(btw. i'm using FBSD 4.3)
Dimitri

-----=C1=F1=F7=E9=EA=FC =EC=DE=ED=F5=EC=E1-----

> Is it possible to run an XWindows application without=20
> starting KDE (or Gnome etc..) ?
> (Something like launching the application together with the=20
> Xserver at its minimum..)

put it into your ~/.xinitrc or ~/.xsession file like so:

#! /bin/sh
# .xinitrc

# start fvwm2
exec fvwm2 &