Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2007 13:37:46 -0500
From:      "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@riderway.com>
To:        "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@north-winds.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD NFS server responds with wrong address

Loren M. Lang wrote:
> I was attempting to do an NFS mount from a FreeBSD server to a FreeBSD
> client over IPv6 and received the error "NFSPROC_NULL: RPC: Timed out."
> After doing a packet trace, I noticed that the FreeBSD server was
> indeed responding to both a Portmap GATADDR call and a NFS NULL call,
> but in both cases it was coming from the IPv6 address closest to the
> client making the call and not the address the call was issued to.  Why
> is this happening and how do I make the server respond with the correct
> address?
>
> The server is FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p7.
I might be able to confirm this but not fix it.

I had a dual nic NFS server (both nics in the same subnet and physical lan)

I was issuing a mount to nic1, but nic0 was responding, so I got the NFS
NULL call and a timeout.

The fix was to issue it to nic0.

(This is very likely due to my same subnet setup)

Philip M. Gollucci (philip@ridecharge.com)
o:703.549.2050x206
Senior System Admin - Riderway, Inc.
http://riderway.com / http://ridecharge.com
1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.