Date:      Sun, 5 May 2002 14:49:48 +0200
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        Kathy Quinlan <katinka@magestower.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: firewalls and ip filtering ??

Hi Kathy,

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 06:28:40PM +0800, Kathy Quinlan wrote:
> Hi all that was the best subject I could think of lol.
>
> I need to rebuild my firewall and I am at a loss, I used to use Natd, but
> since moving over to ADSL I have used the -nat switch in ppp. how do I
> redirect all requests to ppp's nat like I used to do for Natd.

That has been a while for me. As I remember correctly you can also
set up some basic filtering with ppp, see man ppp and the example in
/usr/share/examples/ppp/ppp.conf.sample

You'll see that ppp can handle NAT and basic filtering which might be
enough for the things you need to do.

> How can I restrict a certain computer to access only selected IP addresses,
> yes this is the kids machine, and I find that most net monitoring Winblows
> software is useless, It blocks most kids sites IE msn kids etc. So I think
> it may be easier to do in FreeBSD than winblows (plus if it is off their
> machine they can not try to bypass it (hard when your kids are as geeky as
> their parents)

you could use something like this in your ppp.conf:

set filter out 1 deny ip.of.kids.comp forbidden.site.inet
set filter in  2 deny forbidden.site.inet ip.of.kids.comp
etc.

Remember to define a dial and alive list too, so your gateway won't stay
connected or starts dialing for no reason. Things to block might be ports
137-139 for all the windows traffic causing a dialup.

> Regards,
>
> Kat.

>  /"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  |        K.A.Q. Electronics
>  \ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | Software and Electronic Engineering
>   X  - NO Word docs in e-mail |      Perth Western Australia
>  / \                          |        Ph +61 419 923 731

Gr,
--
Axel Scheepers
UNIX System Administrator