Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 2009 18:56:04 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Alexander Sack <pisymbol@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Older FreeBSD reorders my disk nodes, can't mount root

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:12:19 -0400, Alexander Sack <pisymbol@gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, no big deal.  My da's in the fstab were reordered so I try to
> find it by mounting s1a from the other da nodes and no matter what I
> choose I can not mount root.  I can't see the exact disk because dmesg
> scrolls by too fast but based on the number of da's, it seems to have
> found both the internal Adaptec and external SAN via the QLogic 23xx
> card.  I tried every node but nothing mounts (I get either 6 or 22 I
> forgot off hand).

For "scrolls too fast": Use the Scroll Lock key, then the cursor and
page scrolling keys to see the messages that went off the screen.

For reordering: Does the 4.x kernel already have ATA_STATIC_ID?
Maybe this applies to your problem. I'm not running such a setting,
so this is only a wild guess.

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany