Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 2010 14:55:29 +0300
From:      Patraulea Trandafir <patraule@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Local transparent proxy for my own traffic ?

Hello,

I am trying to filter web traffic from browsers running on my local
machine through a local proxy, mainly for anti-phishing.

Although I am using the ipfw fwd rule to redirect outgoing traffic on
port 80 to localhost:3128, this also redirects the local proxy's
outgoing connections to itself. So far I am considering two ways to
solve this. One is to run the proxy as user "proxy" and use ipfw to
let tcp from that user pass through. Another would be to force the
proxy to use ports below 1024 for outbound connections, and tell ipfw
to let those ports pass through.

Both solutions are imperfect (the first because of the extra setup
needed, the second for potentially allowing extra traffic). Is there a
Right way to do what I'm describing ?

Thank you,
Patraulea