Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2007 05:04:20 +0200
From:      Nikola Lecic <nlecic@EUnet.yu>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: misc questions re setting LANG

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 23:30:48 -0700
Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> wrote:

> 	Does anybody know howto set my env to iso.8859-1 (Latin1)
> 	so that, say [Alt]-i will produce an e-aigu?  I think that's
> 	e-acute.  I have it partlyworking in regular xterm.  I can
> type the string
>=20
> 	% cafe=20
>=20
> 	with the final e being  hex-e9 and I get=20
>=20
> 	"zsh: command not found: \M-i"
>=20
> 	which makes sense.  It would be nice to see the cafe echoed
> with the aigu over the e, but whatever.  On both the Gnome Terminal=20
> 	and the KDE Konsole, zip, nada, nothing.  I've tried
> "Setttings" for the Konsole terms. No joy.  I don't know where to
> mouse and click for Gnome.  Oh,and most of the time in vi no Latin1
> chars.

Gary,

If you run

  % xterm -lc iso-8859-1

you will get what you want, i.e. ISO-8859-1 terminal in UTF-8
environment and Alt+I will produce "=C3=A9". Please read xterm man page for
more explanation on -lc and -en. See also luit(1).

If you really want to change the locale of Gnome/KDE/Xfce from default
UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1 (not recommended), then you should appropriately set
LANG and LC_ALL variables in ~/.xinitrc.

Nikola Le=C4=8Di=C4=87