Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 19:23:13 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        grog@lemis.de
Cc:        alexandr@louie.udel.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help With GCC!!!

> > I would've just grabbed 2.7.2, but I remember reading somewhere that
> > FreeBSD hasn't jumped to that version yet because of a bunch of bugs and
> > other problems.
>
> The problems with 2.7.2 are exaggerated.

Apparently it needs substantial patching to compile the kernel
correctly.

> I'm using it for everything.

Perhaps you have been lucky :-)

> I believe it will soon become standard on 2.2.

As I understand it, the system compiler in -current will be a patched
version of 2.7.3 (when gcc-2.7.3 comes out). At the moment it's a
patched version of 2.6.3.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk