Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 08:52:56 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <ernsth@nl.euro.net>
To:        Ari Suutari <ari.suutari@syncrontech.com>, java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tomcat ports and daemonctl.c suggestion

> Would it be a good idea to change daemonctl program
> (which us used to start tomcat installed via ports) so that
> instead of editing the source automatically during port
> install (for adding information about JAVA_HOME, APP_HOME etc)
> these values would be written to a .conf file in /usr/local/etc ?

Yeah. This sounds like a good idea. We would then have configuration files
named:
o jakarta-tomcat3.conf,
o jakarta-tomcat4.conf
o jboss2.conf
o orion.conf
etc...

Right ?

> Then, it would be easy the change these values after installation
> if necessary (to add jvm parameters, to change to different jdk etc)
> (If daemonctl is installed as tomcat4ctl, the config file could
> automagically be tomcat4ctl.conf)

Yeah, sounds very good!

> I volunteer to do the coding if this makes sense.

That would be great. I would really appreciate that. If you really want to do
so, then lets discuss the exact details a bit further...

Regards,

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
EuroNet Internet B.V.

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ