Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:59:43 -0400
From:      "Eric W. Bates" <ericx_lists@vineyard.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: To many dynamic rules created by infected machine

Julian Elischer wrote:

> how about preceeding the keep-state rule with some specific rules
> against that machine..
> (or turning it off)?  what KIND of sweep?

It's a small store.  Folks with broken computers bring the machines in
because "It doesn't work". They usually don't know what is wrong with
any given machine; and they try to be careful (remove the hard drive and
attempt to clean it first); but eventually there is a need to put the
machine on line and try to update Norton's virus list.

Over the weekend a less savvy staffer was working on a laptop with some
infection or other (the machine does not have a tcpdump store running so
I don't know exactly what happened). The firewall started to fail
because of the overwhelming number of dynamic rules created; and he did
not connect the customer's machine on the workbench with their problem
(he rebooted the FreeBSD machine...).

I'm guessing it had Sasser (or similar) and it was attempting to open up
connections to:

199.x.x.1 : 445
199.x.x.2 : 445
199.x.x.3 : 445
199.x.x.4 : 445

There is a dhcp server passing out address to the "bench" network; so if
there is a way to limit the number of dynamic rules created, I can apply
it to that IP range easily enough.