Date:      Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:01:06 +0200
From:      Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org>
To:        krinklyfig@spymac.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fw: Re: Drop of portindex

--Signature=_Mon__20_Sep_2004_13_01_06_+0200_C0E63gLyWd8TtTwu

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:11:21 -0700
Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com> wrote:

[portindex replacement]
> > I'm writing the code in C and the license will be, of course, BSD.
> > Hopefully I'll have a preview demo by the end of the week.
>
> Just curious if you had made any progress with this. I'm not really a
> programmer, but I could help test this if you want.

Unfortunately I haven't had enough time to work on it, but you can have
a look at the current code sans varexpand(); and other goodies. It
currently generates the index without the depends fields, but make
search works on it.

The tarball: http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org/files/portsindexer.tar.gz

Untar it and compile the program. Then set the PORTS_INDEX env variable
to e.g. /tmp/INDEX and run the program. In its current embryonic state
is needs about 1 minute to generate the (incomplete) INDEX, and is still
i/o bound, so I'm pretty confident the needed time won't grow that much
once the rest of the code is in there. I have some ideas about the
pre-parsed mk files like I mentioned earlier and I'll probably cache
dependencies in a hash table.

I honestly don't know if it's fast or slow because I never user
portindex, so I don't know how it compares. If portindex was equally
fast maybe I'd consider implementing it in a higher level language
(python/perl/ruby).

Cheers,
--
	Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org>