Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 16:55:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      paz <paz@apriori.net>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: asload & ascpu

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, Bill Fumerola wrote:

: On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, paz wrote:
:
: > The documentation for ascpu says:
: >
: > "Notes: Avatar Liang <avatar@www.mmlab.cse.yzu.edu.tw>
: >         points out: The FreeBSD version uses the kvm_XXX functions.
: >         Using these functions requires 'kmem' group privilege. Therefore
: >         the ascpu binary must setgid to kmem."
: >
: > Not being well-versed in compiling stuff, this has me stumped.
:
: This is (sorta) my fault, I tested this from a root xterm before I
: imported this port.
:
: I will fix the install flags appropriatly.

Another friend gave me the following advice, and it worked instantly:
(as root:)

        chgrp kmem /usr/local/bin/ascpu
        chmod 2711 /usr/local/bin/ascpu

I'm not sure how else I would have found out, but in this case, just a
smidgen more info would have done the trick. Thanks for the nice code,
though! What a jazzy desktop...

cheers -
-- Philip.

philip zimmermann       paz@apriori.net