Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 07:12:21 -0500
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mppsystems.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports building/installing on a network

Background:

I have a small at home network of FreeBSD machines.  One machine
is an NFS server with all of the sources, including ports.  I export
/usr/ports to the other machines due to disk space reasons.
For speed, I usually build the port on the server machine, then
install it on the client via an NFS mount.

All machines running -current.

The problem:

Tonight I accidently did a "make install" on the server machine
for a very large port (e.g. it depended on a LOT of other ports).
Not a big deal for the server, since it has the disk space for it.

However, when I went to the client I REALLY wanted to install the
port on, it wouldn't install because the ".install_done" had been created
in the "work" directory for that port.

So I figured I would try "make reinstall" from the client,
which wound up re-compiling and then installing a bunch of
stuff, even though the programs had already been installed on
the client.

My question:

Is there a way around this, or am I doing something that the ports
system was not designed for?

My proposal:

How about instead of a generic .install_done file, create
a .install_done.<hostname> file, where <hostname> = the
name of the host that actually did the install.
Just a thought...I'm a little too tired right now to think straight,
so maybe there is a better answer to my question.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mppsystems.com