Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2018 15:16:45 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Hang in boot process

I used restore to put a working dump over an old drive.  I did a newfs =
on the slice first.  When booting, it puts out the message loading the =
kernel and hangs for over an hour.  I booted in verbose mode and got =
some more information.  It puts out the message about starting init =
before the hang, but that's the last message.  I know it is reading the =
drive properly because I changed fstab from the physical entry for root =
to the label and the boot message properly showed the new label entry.  =
Just before the init message there are a number of messages about =
alignment not being correct.  I understand that the performance of the =
drive would be affected by that, but I didn't think that should cause a =
hang.  Lots of information and test measurements on the performance, but =
no indications that it should hang.  I suspect that particular drive was =
formatted many years ago and it's highly likely its not 4k aligned.  I =
am going to try again later today after restructuring the drive.

-- Doug