Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 01:29:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      David Banning <tracker@worldy.com>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System can't find shared library

Thanks for answering back Crist.

> Yeah. Is that file in /usr/X11R6/lib/aout? That's where it's looking
> for the aout shared lib, not an ELF lib.

/usr/X11R6/lib/aout is empty.

> What to do depends on some things. Is the one in /usr/X11R6/lib the
> aout or ELF?

I guess aout - but it's just an empty directory.

>If the ones that should be in the aout dir are there, are
> they properly included in the ldconfig for aouts?

Don't know what ones you mean - guess cause they're not there!

> I've gone through this with a few 2.2.8 (aout) to 3.4 (ELF) upgrades.

That's great - hope you can stick this through with me to find out
what I can do...

I don't know if this is helpful bu I did a
"locate libXaw" and got the following files on the system;

/usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw.so.6.1
/usr/X11R6/src/xc/exports/lib/libXaw.a
/usr/X11R6/src/xc/exports/lib/libXaw.so
/usr/X11R6/src/xc/exports/lib/libXaw.so.6
/usr/X11R6/src/xc/exports/lib/libXaw.so.6.1
/usr/X11R6/src/xc/lib/Xaw/libXaw.a
/usr/X11R6/src/xc/lib/Xaw/libXaw.so
/usr/X11R6/src/xc/lib/Xaw/libXaw.so.6
/usr/X11R6/src/xc/lib/Xaw/libXaw.so.6.1

I just did a "make World" in /usr/X11R6/src/xc which was fruitless
in solving the problem BUT - as a result the top two files stayed old,
and the bottom 8 were updated to today.

Thanks.