Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 20:21:19 -0500
From:      "David L. Vondrasek" <dallas.tx@airmail.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Samba/WIN95/FREEBSD-Printing

Ok here's another problem I'm working on for the last few days: The setup
is as follows:

WIN98 w/HP660C Printer
FreeBSD 2.2.7 w/Samba running

I have no problem browsing of seeing the bsd box from the WIN95 box.
Samba commands from the BSD box show this:

----
david@workbox:/home/david : smbclient -L barstool
Added interface ip=10.124.239.13 bcast=10.124.239.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
startlmhosts: Can't open lmhosts file /usr/local/etc/lmhosts. Error was No
such file or directory
Got a positive name query response from 10.124.239.11 ( 10.124.239.11 )
Server time is Tue Sep 29 20:08:34 1998
Timezone is UTC-5.0
security=share

Server=[BARSTOOL] User=[] Workgroup=[WORKGROUP] Domain=[WORKGROUP]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        ADMIN$         Disk
        C-BARSTOOL     Disk
        HP66C          Printer
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
        PRINTER$       Disk

NOTE: There were share names longer than 8 chars.
On older clients these may not be accessible or may give browsing errors

This machine has a workgroup list:

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        WORKGROUP            BARSTOOL
-------
david@workbox:/home/david : smbclient -L workbox
Added interface ip=10.124.239.13 bcast=10.124.239.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
startlmhosts: Can't open lmhosts file /usr/local/etc/lmhosts. Error was No
such file or directory
Server time is Tue Sep 29 20:09:42 1998
Timezone is UTC-5.0
Password:xxxxxxxx
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 1.9.18p8]
security=user

Server=[WORKBOX] User=[david] Workgroup=[WORKGROUP] Domain=[WORKGROUP]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        david          Disk      Home Directories
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server)
        lp             Printer   local line printer
        netlogon       Disk      Network Logon Service
        public         Disk      Public Stuff
        tmp            Disk      Temporary file space

This machine has a browse list:

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        BARSTOOL             DAVID VONDRASEK
        WORKBOX              Samba Server

This machine has a workgroup list:

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        WORKGROUP            BARSTOOL

--------
The unix box (workbox) though Samba can see the HP660C on the Win95 box
(barstool)

How do I get the bsd box to print to the HP660C on the 95 box ?
To thow another wrench in the works, I'll have to use ghostscript 5 to use
the printer as it has the drivers I need for this printer.

Help ? Ideas ? ... I'm lost, spend 2 days playing and reading man pages and
web sites and I'm right were I started.. no place. *sigh*
David L. Vondrasek                         dlv@watertower.com

http://web2.airmail.net/davidvon