Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 17:51:08 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@lgc.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        "Timothy P. Sparks" <Timothy.Sparks@GDEsystems.COM>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Release Notes 2.1, Ref Hard Drives/Controllers

On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, Timothy P. Sparks wrote:
>
> >   I have been reviewing the release notes for 2.1 FreeBSD and I didn't see
> > any info regarding built-in PCI Enhanced IDE controller. Does FreeBSD
> > support this.
>
> Not a problem.  There are some IDE controllers (notably the Promise 2300
> series) that flat out don't work, though.  Best way is to try.

Maybe I'm missing something here, do you mean a Promise 2300 on the
motherboard or PCI doesn't work (Didn't know there was either one of
them)? If so, that is a possibility, however if you mean the Promise 2300
VLB doesn't work I'd beg to differ. (I will assume that reciept of this
message will do for validation)

> > to dedicate to this system. When I load the boot floppy, neither the hard
> > drive nor controller are recognized. Am I stuck with going out and buying
> > a bunch of SCSI hardware or are there options available booting with the
> > "-c" option to account for the EIDE controller? A prompt reply would be
> > greatly appreciated. If I'm stuck buying the hardware then I'd like to
> > do it tonight if possible. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>
> Can we see the boot messages, specifically for the wdc0 device?
>
> What controller does this machine have?  Is this the machine given above?

Rob Snow
Sr. Systems Administrator
Landmark Graphics Corporation