Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 1997 21:36:03 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as an ISDN Router

> Brian Somers wrote:
> >
> > [.....]
> > > And some might want to run alias stuff over ethernet or other, and not
> > > want ppp at all.
> >
> > I agree completely - but the last time this was discussed (AFAIK) people
> > didn't really want to dirty the tcp stack.
>
> that's why divert(4) sockets exist..
> they pass things OUT of the kernel for processing..

This looks like the best solution - I *really* like the design, and it's not "dirtying" anything.

As far as mpd is concerned, I'd also like to push that into the source in place of the current 'ppp'.

At this stage I'd tend to rename the "aliasing" stuff to the "masquerading" stuff - it's less likely to get confused with interface aliasing.

So, any objections to this ?

BTW, where's the divert(4) page ?  I havn't got it in 3.0-current as of yesterday.  I only found some info in the ipfw page.

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.demon.co.uk>, <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.demon.co.uk/>;