Date:      Mon, 01 Jan 1990 03:26:34 -0800
From:      Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp (HOSOKAWA Tatsumi), Armin Gruner <ag@ncolin.muc.de>, Bruce Campbell <bc@apnic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.1 supporting disk spin down

> Richard Johnson wrote:
> > Like I said, it's not for everyone, but I thought that some people who
> > have laptops which don't support disk spin down in hardware (like my
> > older AST did) would appreciate it.  If you're interested, I'd be glad
> > to send you what diffs I have.
>
> I'd love to look at your patches, please :-). I have a Libretto 110CT.

> --
> Mark Murray
> Join the anti-SPAM movement: http://www.cauce.org

I decided the easiest way to distribute these diffs is to put up a
compressed tar file on a web site:

	http://www.employees.org/~raj/disk_spindown.tar.gz

This uncompresses and untars into it's own directory.  Inside is a
README file which explains a little about this hack.  The
subdirectories are:

sys		mirrors the /usr/src/sys directory containing the diff files.
		each is named after the file for which the diffs apply with
		".diff" appended to the name.

syslogd		contains diffs for the "syslogd" program.

apm		contains diffs for the "apm" program.

I believe this should be everything, but since I did this a few months
ago I can't be completely sure.  If you find that some diffs seem to
be missing, let me know and I'll supply them.

(I have noticed from time to time that the disk spins back up whenever
cron runs, but when I started putting debugging into cron in order to
find out more about what was going on, it stopped happening!  I can
sometimes for quite some time, even with cron running, without the
disk spinning up and other times it spins up every 5 minutes or so.
It's probably a matter of what's been cached lately.)

Good luck!  Let me know how it goes!

/raj