Date:      Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:37:22 +1300
From:      James Pole <james@pole.net.nz>
To:        lists@whootis.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kernel help

Heya,

To remove the old kernel just delete /kernel and rename /kernel.old to
/kernel.

But note that you need to build the whole world (cd /usr/src/ && make
buildworld && make installworld) before the kernel will be in sync with
the rest of the system. If the kernel version is not in sync with the
version of the 'world' (ie the user-land applications such as SSH, etc)
then problems can occur.

The FreeBSD manual has more information on the correct prodecure for
upgrading a FreeBSD box.

Regards,
James