Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 03:09:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        Anthony Schneider <aschneid@mail.slc.edu>
Cc:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@apsfilter.org>, <apsfilter-hackers@apsfilter.org>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: aps2file doesn't work on FreeBSD

On Sun, 16 Dec 2001, Anthony Schneider wrote:

>Well, the reason I brought up $USER inheritance is that on linux, $USER
>is root after an su to root, whereas on FreeBSD, the $USER is the same
>as before the su.

[Line wrap at 72, please]

Excerpt from su(1):
---
By default, the environment is unmodified with the exception of USER,
HOME, and SHELL.  HOME and SHELL are set to the target login's default
values.  USER is set to the target login, unless the target login has a
user ID of 0, in which case it is unmodified.  The invoked shell is the
target login's.  This is the traditional behavior of su.
<snip>
-l      Simulate a full login.
---

You are observing none other than the expected behavior.  I have never
seen Linux (GNU) su do things any differently in this regard.  If they
do, it's broken.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
"Iam mens praetrepidans avet vagari."