Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:01:59 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware3 on FreeBSD 4.11 and 5.4

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 13:14:45 -0800 (PST)
"Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> > The real solution is to make sure that ports will install to alternative
> > locations of LOCALBASE and X11BASE (a recent regression test exposed many
> > of the former).  Once that's done, perhaps we can consider doing away
> > with the historical artifact of X11BASE forever.
>
> Ok, so the move of vmware3 from /usr/local to /usr/X11R6 was an arbitrary
> change made with no intent?  If so could we please move it back as that
> kinda broke anyone doing updates.... since vmware well infact preserve
> prior settings in the config files.
>
> This move occured during the mega update to linux_base-8.8 i think.

If it was done during the mega-update, then it was me who was doing the
move. Some end-user ports (as opposed to linux infrastructure ports
like the linux-X11 libs) installed into LINUXBASE, some into LOCALBASE
and some into X11BASE. I tried to streamline all of them to behave
consistently (to not install into LINUXBASE but into LOCALBASE or
X11BASE). As a rule which ports belongs into which PREFIX, I modelled
the behavior after the status quo of the ports collection as described
in the previous mail.

So if a port previously depended upon the linux X11 libs, I removed
this hardcoded dependency and added USE_X_PREFIX, which resulted in
using X11BASE as the destination, and automatically depending upon the
linux X11 libs (the background for this automatism is to be able to
switch to a different linux X11 port, e.g. a not yet existing linux
X.org libs port, just by changing it at one place).

Personally I don't care if we install everything in LOCALBASE or not
(even if I see some benefits in having separate trees for X11 using ports
and non-X11 using ports, e.g. when sharing a common base on desktops
and servers), but I don't want to touch the status quo.

Is it non-trivial to move the vmware config files, or does vmware store
some paths to his binaries in the config?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
         The computer revolution is over. The computers won.
WL http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/registry/1FZ4DTHQE9PQ8/ref=wl_em_to/