Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 17:59:55 -0400
From:      Pete Fritchman <petef@absolutbsd.org>
To:        up@3.am
Cc:        FreeBSD ISP List <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Apache and mods from ports

++ 06/06/02 17:36 -0400 - up@3.am:

| I've built apache and mods from tarballs many times, but ports looks like
| it could save me alot of time (particulary with mod_ssl), so I thought I'd
| give it a go.
|
| The only thing is, I really want to install it under /usr/local/apache
| ("classic Apache"), instead of the default scattered all over /usr/local.
|
| It looks simple enough to do.  I just edited the Makefile under
| /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl to --with-layout=Apache instead of the
| default --with-layout=FreeBSD and --suexec-docroot=${PREFIX}/htdocs.

Hmm, I think the better way to do this would be "make install
PREFIX=/usr/local/apache".  It might not be the exact same as the
"classic apache" layout (i.e. the config would be in
/usr/local/apache/etc/httpd, but you could symlink & stuff) but you'll
still get the ports benefits (see your paragraph below for an example).
Note though, when you go to install other mod_* ports, be sure to set
PREFIX *and* LOCALBASE to /usr/local/apache.

| Judging by the contents of
| /usr/ports/www/apache13-modssl/work/apache_1.3.24/config.layout
| I would have thought this would take care of all the other variables
| ($PREFIX, etc), but it didn't.  What's worse, 'make deinstall' can't find
| where I installed it, even if I mv config.status and edit the Makefile
| layout variable.

Right, ``make deinstall'' depends on the packing list in pkg-plist,
which assumes you're installing apache the normal ports way.

--pete

--
Pete Fritchman [petef@(databits.net|freebsd.org|csh.rit.edu)]
finger petef@databits.net for PGP key